Monday 8 April 2013

Lesson Two

What would you do when a child in your class cannot count? How would you inform his parent? Will they be satisfied with just "your child cannot count?"
Some teachers including myself is guilty of making this remark "your child cannot count" and thats the end of the story. But in this lesson, our lecturer was able to help me see beyond this ending.

He showed me that I need to find out more about this child's learning experience. He reminded me that a child can only count when he is able to:
- classify and sort;
- do one to one corresponding;
- role count and lastly;
- understand that the last number he uses actually represent the thing.

With a re-assessment, I would be able to find out the root cause and then also the strategy to help him overcome this temporary obstacle.

Thank you Dr Yeap!

No comments:

Post a Comment